Zenon Consulting

Telephone: 0203 283 4164

E: marcblakewill@zenonconsulting.com


What would you do if 90% of the world’s population died from a flu virus....

What would you do if 90% of the world’s population died from a flu virus.... and you were one of only a handful of survivors?  No, I’m not talking about our Pandemic Flu policies or contingency plans.  I’m talking about the new TV series where exactly that happened.  What role would you play in that type of cataclysmic scenario?  What skills do you have that you could apply to this new way of living?  How would you feel – would you find hidden depths, talents, strength, energy and drive?  Would you take control – and be the architect of your own destiny?.....

I posed these questions recently at a conference on career development.  Why wait until something mind-blowingly dreadful happens before you reflect on and change how you act, manage or develop your career?  Take control of your career development now.

Do you recognise any of these favourite career strategies?

  • Work hard, keep your head down
  • Trust your employer to manage your career
  • Jump ship at the first sign of trouble
  • Pursue only advertised jobs

With the number and variety of careers in the NHS and wider health care sector, coupled with the economic downturn, these strategies aren’t going to work any more.

Think ‘career awareness’.    Focus on your skills, values and motivations and work out what your present or next employer really needs.  In other words, future-proof your career.  Recent research identified that one way to move on up in your career was to ‘be happy at work’.  Happiness is infectious and energises you and others - smile and the world smiles with you!

Think ‘networking’.  Everyone networks – but some do it better than others.  Networking is about receiving and giving.  Most people don’t like doing it and see it as a necessary evil in developing their career.  See it, rather, as a helpful tool to achieve your goals.  If you put energy, time and commitment into it, you’ll get a lot more out of it.

Think ‘influencing people around me’.  Who are the key stakeholders, blockers and drivers in your career?  How are you perceived and how do you perceive others?  I always smile when I hear this quote from Anita Roddick - ‘If you think that you’re too small to make a difference, try going to bed with a mosquito’. How true that is.  In terms of career development – be positive, be strong and play the long game.  Quick wins are useful, but sustained, fabulous career development will only work if you’re in for the long haul and have clear goals and aspirations.

Think ‘confidence’.  A very personal and complex factor in career development.  How do you strike that balance of being confident, but not appearing over confident?  How do you know that job is right for you?  Years ago, as a young, newly qualified HR manager going for a much more senior role, I remember a headhunter saying to me ‘the ideal next role is where you are comfortable with 70% of the role, but are scared of the other 30%’.  60:40 or more and you need to think – is it the right role for you right now?  80:20 and it’s definitely not the right role, as you’ll get bored and distracted.  
Remember – you are the architect of your own destiny.


Current Assignments

Julia Tybura is providing OD support to Kent, Surrey and Sussex Leadership Academy. She is working with senior system leaders as the representative of the Local Leadership Academy, providing expert analysis, advice, support and OD interventions.

Rupert Wainwright has just completed his role as interim Deputy Director of Acute Services at the Isle of Wight NHS Trust.

Julia Tybura - along with Zenon associates - is providing continuing HR and OD support to City and Hackney CCG in London.

Julia is now an accredited Belbin Team Roles practitioner.  As well as giving a greater insight into the benefits of 360°feedback, team dynamics and job analysis, this gives Julia full backup from the Belbin office. Get in touch if you'd like to hear more about Zenon's team building workshops.

Julia facilitated an HR career speed dating event for over 50 people. The event was for the HPMA London Academy and feedback was very positive: "The structured format was one of the most constructive I have encountered.". If you’re looking for an experienced facilitator for team building or a time-out session. then give Julia a call.

Contact us if you need interim, outplacement, programme management or clinical strategy support by emailing Julia at juliatybura@zenonconsulting.com or call her on 0203 283 4164


This web site would like to use cookies to store information on your computer, to improve our website. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set.

To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.


EU Cookie Directive Module Information